Vintage ~ Handmade ~ Homes ~ Gardens

Monday 13 February 2012

Lessons learned

Where's my manners? I haven't welcomed new followers for a while - so, welcome! I always enjoy visiting followers blogs and apologies if I haven't yet left a comment for you. It's been such a hectic time since I opened my handmade and vintage space at the Hertfordshire Craft Collective. Every spare minute I have is spent on making, sourcing, planning, and, oh yeah, fitting in the demanding day job! But it's so worth it. It's great when somebody likes something you have made enough to part with cash for it! And the thrill of the chase on weekends spent hunting down finds worthy of my little shop. 


I've been open for business for a whole month already. So what I have I learned? Well, it's hard to predict what will sell - a bit of everything so far - although retro e.g 50/60s sells quicker that vintage. Another thing I've learned is that it is jolly hard sometimes to part with super finds. Like this lovely 50s jug I found for a £1 in the local charity (thrift) shop...



I love the colours of the pattern. It's sitting in the kitchen while I deliberate - can you blame me? This great 50s sputnik magazine rack is also slow to make its way in the shop...


Yes, I know, I have to be more business focussed! One thing that I have bought just for me is this great plate that I found at another great vintage store in St Albans called The Fleetville Emporium



           Fleetville have made a great little video about their store:

                                        

One of the nicest things about selling at the Craft Collective is its country setting at Battlers Green Farm in this lovely old barn.




And I just love playing around with my display...!







I have the whole week off work from the day job next week - yippee! - and I can't wait to get out and about on the treasure hunt. I'm taking my camera so I can snap some lovely cottages for you while I'm on the vintage trail. I haven't done that since the summer an I'm itching to get out there and snoop around to bring you a post of cottages to drool over. I drove though a lovely village called Cottered last month that was full of the most gorgeous cottages like these...swoon...so that may well be on the itinerary. 



Have a good week!


7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your little shop. would you like to email me where you are and how to find you because my friend and are planning a trip to the UK mid May. I would so much love to visit your shop. We have not planned our trip yet, we just want to travel the UK. Good luck and have lots of sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous little shop, would love to visit. If I ever take a hol back home I will certainly call in. To die for cottages too.
    xx jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shop is looking GREAT!!! It's so lovely watching you establishing in these early days!

    And cottages? I'm soooo there!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shop, Louise, beautiful things !
    Enjoy your week off,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the plate with the red covered wagons. I have always been drawn to the prairie days - the women so brave, and the men such hard working. I watch Little House on the Prairie all the time. Your display looks wonderful. The hearts hanging on the wall are my favorite.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your shop! I hope to open a small one someday too. I just need a push! Have fun!
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope you have a great week off next week! lots more time for bargain hunting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...