Vintage ~ Handmade ~ Homes ~ Gardens

Saturday 13 October 2012

Pretty front porches of Ocean Grove

I discovered the cute little town of Ocean Grove NJ back in 1989 on a pilgrimage to Asbury Park (that's a bit like Mecca to fans like me of Bruce Springsteen). Last month I got to go back. How often do you get to say a place hasn't changed a bit?!

Ocean Grove was founded in 1869 as an outgrowth of the camp meeting movement in the United States, when a group of Methodist clergymen,formed the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association. By the early 20th century, the popular Christian meeting ground became known as the "Queen of Religious Resorts." The community's land is still owned by the camp meeting association and leased to individual homeowners and businesses. Ocean Grove remains the longest-active camp meeting site in the United States.

There's a sign as you enter this little town thats says "Ocean Grove - Gods square mile". Well I don't know about that but it has some heavenly houses that line the peaceful little streets of this village by the sea.

This was the pretty BnB I stayed at - a shells throw from the ocean.




Ocean Grove houses are all distinctly quirky with cute front porches all individually personalised by their owners



Even the little chapel is ridiculously quaint!




These house are all about the front porch. Some were fun...





One or two were, well, um - gaudy...




But so much effort goes into making these porches eye catching...




Many were distinctly patriotic...




... or elegant



I really liked the Americana style of this one ...




Loved the simple green and white - such a pretty entrance!




Finally ... an American house that's smaller than mine and cute as a button!




The people of New Jersey are still as friendly as I found them back in 89. I popped in to say hi to a lovely lady I know via our Facebook business pages who has a wonderful painted furniture store, Paintin Place in Belmar, just a couple of miles along the coast. Sherry generously invited me to join in a paint technique class and here we both are with the result! She is such a talented lady and a great teacher! 




Of course I couldn't leave New Jersey without visiting some of those Springsteen landmarks. Just a long from Sherry's is one of the most famous ...




WIsh you all a great weekend, oh, and welcome to new followers! 

Louise x


2 comments:

  1. aw what a post! I love this style of Americana, I would love a porch of my own one day! Thanks for sharing, I'd love to see it all for myself one day :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just LOVE this look! I sometimes wish we had a few more of this kind of house in the UK. Aren't they beautiful?

    Sarahxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...